Sunday, May 4, 2014

Early Riser

Anyone who knows me knows I do not enjoy getting up early. I hate my alarm clock. I'm a much more pleasant person when I can wake up on my own. This week, I have been put into the position of being an early riser. My father-in-law typically takes care of the day to day cow feeding.  Unfortunately he had knee surgery this past week and is on crutches. Since I pass the farm every day, it's only logical that I take over the morning feedings on my way to work. And you know what that means...getting up early. 

The first day was definitely the worst. One of our mamas that delivered twins rejected one of them, leaving us with a bottle calf. She's little and can wriggle under fences. And she does. Frequently. Thursday morning she decided it would be a good day to go into an adjoining pasture and play with her twin.  And she wasn't interested in eating. Thursday night she won a pen in the barn. She didn't like it but it made my Friday morning easier. 

While I fully expected to feel like getting up early to go feed was a mild form of torture, I've found I am actually enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I won't be disappointed when my father-in-law is back in action but for now spending 20 minutes with the cattle in the morning is a peaceful way to begin the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment